Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Friendships

I remember as a kid being told, "Treat people the way you want to be treated", but it seems that never really sticks with children. Yes, everyone does NOT receive that message from their parents, but a some damn point in your life somebody has given you that message.

I guess my problem is always wanting to treat people nicely, with respect while maintain a realist approach to every situation. College, of course, gets you to start critically thinking about every piece of life. Over time I've had to evaluate several friendships and decide if the person and their attitude or whatever they bring to our friendship was worth me keeping them around. Some people got the boot and others are approached from a different angle. Knowing how much of what I should say or do around these people.

So as I rap up these reflections on friendships, I have realized you have to treat people the way the want to be treated. They don't call you unless they need something, you return the favor and not call them until you need something. They don't show up to things you invite them to, cool, but please remember you will have an event and I will return the favor of not showing up!!


Here are some great quotes:

One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are hardly possible. Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community of thought, a rivalry of aim.
Henry Adams
The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for.
Homer
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
Oprah Winfrey
I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar.
Robert Brault
Friends never betray you, only people you thought were your friends.
T.Mike Runger

No comments: